Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The Dude Abides

Finally into the final state, my spirits lifted and I hiked with a new confidence that I might actually, truly reach the Canadian boarder. The beginning of the WA trail was a slow and steady climb through some clear cuts and under power lines. The only real scenery was a look back down the Columbia River Gorge behind.

I soon caught Steve and Bethany, a couple whom had past Uncle Tony and me a couple days ago. They are both teachers and have taught across the country at different intervals which allow them to travel and participate in a number of trip and adventures between teaching gigs. Steve is a tall slender dude with a billowing low baritone voice. He grew up in South America and has wonderful stories of the people and culture of his youth. Bethany is a soft faced young women with dark hair and a warm personable presence. She's from Seattle and it sounds as if they will end up there after the hike. I really enjoyed hiking with these two. The seem to have a wonderful passion for living well and with an intention and purpose. The are both vegan so it is always interesting to see what they have for dinner. Their main staple is an Andean grain called quinwa that is high in calorie and a good source of protein. We eventually linked up with I Spy and Booty, and it became for me, a first rate education in relationships on the trail. Both couples worked wonderfully together. By now there was a system and procedure in place for cooking meals and setting up camp. Would be nice to have someone to share the work and help motivate a hiker out here. They sure brought a unique perspective to the idea of dating or marriage. It really doesn't seem too bad if you can get out and go places like these couples were doing.

So close to the end now, we all talked of other trips and hikes we would like to do. There are marathons to be attempted and triathlons to train for. Much research is needed in the areas of the Idaho Centennial Trail, paddling the Inside Passage, or trekking abroad in other countries. I exchanged contact info with Steve and Bethany in hopes of doing some cycling and running together in Seattle after the trail. They are getting off at I-90 to attend Bumper Shoot so I'll be finishing a few days before they'll get done.

We all hiked together through the Goat Rock Wilderness south of White Pass. We also saw Buck 30 and Kickstep and Annie as well. It was a challenging section with wonderful views of Rainier in the distance. We saw mountain goats and elk. The great weather and beautiful sunsets made it the most scenic area yet, I think. There was a great section, trekking on the top of a "knife blade", that is the top of a very slender ridge. It was near the end of the day and we were all trying to get off of it before dark. Booty, I Spy and I made it a little more difficult by taking the stock trail around a steep section. It only added a bit of distance and about 800 ft of climbing but we had amazing views atop of Old Snowy Mountain. Anyhow, we all made it safely off and then took off for White Pass in the morning.

I tried to be up and moving early but I never caught Buck 30. He is a wild man on town days, trying to get in as early as possible. I made it to the small store and gas station around 12:30, a good hour after Buck. Dad was there waiting for me with the resupply. Its so much fun to see family on the trail. Eventually all the couples made it into the store and we hung out eating the fried deli food in the gas station for the afternoon. There was laundry there too so that was a plus, but the only shower was a hose behind the station. I made it work. Unfortunately I Spy and Booty didn't receive their resupply box so when dad was leaving he gave them a ride to I-5 and they were going to hitch back to Cascade Locks for a trail days weekend. I was bummed to not be hiking with them anymore but we vowed to stay in touch. We all left the store around 6 and hiked in 3 miles to camp at a lake. Since it was a short trek to camp Kickstep packed in a 6-pack and we all enjoyed a cold one at dinner.

In the morning I was up and going early. I wanted to get thirty in so it would be a short hike to the cabin the next day. I was again saddened to leave Steve and Bethany behind because they were drawing out their hike to Snoqualmie, getting picked up on Wednesday the day after we would be getting, so they could get to Bumper Shoot. I saw a ton of elk that morning but it was impossible to get a picture through all the underbrush. I hope I can eventually get a good picture of the massive beasts. I hiked most of the day alone and got my thirty in. The next day I took my time making miles as I was only trying for 20. There was a cabin built by a snowmobile club that we wanted to stay at. It was on the edge a the very beautiful Government Meadows, called Camp Urich. I got in at about 4:30 and waited for my friends. Avo showed up. I thought he was ahead of us but he had taken a zero and was now catching up. Buck, Kickstep and Annie followed shortly and we all had a nice evening in the cabin with some dinner and hot chocolate.

First to get going in the morning again I spooked yet another heard of elk just beyond the meadow. Still, in the dim lighting and with all the brush I could not get a decent picture. They are quite stealthy as they move slowly through the forest grazing on branch and limb but when they are spooked they move through the undergrowth with all the grace and silence of a boulder crashing through the trees. Its quite startling when they decide to up and go. I ended up hiking a few miles extra that day on account of not finding suitable camping. I was able to get a cell signal and catch the folks to let them know what time I would be into Snoqualmie the next day. Then finally I made camp just before dark at Stirrup Creek. Town in the morning.

Up even earlier with the excitement of family and town, I set off to close the 13 mile gap. I hiked quickly through a foggy and damp forest. Clouds moved through the trees as I went up and down over the ridges. It was very muggy for how cool it was and the moisture just clung to my cloths and pack. About halfway there I spotted a wonderful sight. It one of the prettiest features that nature cannot produce, a small white styrofoam cooler. It had a trail register with it so I signed in and looked inside. There were a few sodas. I took a 5 and drank one down before continuing. Coming over the last rise to the ski resort I looked down to the highway below and left the trail to make a B-line for the Summit Inn where we all decided we would stay. Buck caught me right at the bottom of the slope and we made haste to check in. Shortly after getting showered I got a call from Grandma and Grandpa who had come to visit. After that the welcoming committee continued to pull in through the last of the morning. Mom and Dad were there. My friend Mike and Carol and Cousin Dana came. Grandma and Grandpa Rogers came and even Uncle Tony had recovered to come and visit again. Even our friend Kelly came from the Stanwood/ Camano paper to ask me questions for an article. Yeah, I'm gonna be famous. It was quite the party.

We all went down the road to a little picnic area to have lunch and hang out. It was so much fun to see everyone and they all brought wonderful food to enjoy. Its already so nice to be close to family again. We spent the rest of the afternoon together but eventually everyone had to make the drive home. After goodbyes I headed back to the room to start relaxing.

I really enjoy hiking with Buck and Kickstep and Annie. We are trying to make plans that will finish out the trail together. I'm getting excited to be finishing up soon. I have been nervous about reentering society and looking for work, but with the folks I have met on trail I've gained a confidence that I know things will work out. Whatever happens or whatever I end up doing I know I'll be happy. However you what to say it, "come what may", "thou mayst", or " the Dude abides", the details in life don't matter but the people they associate with do. Plus its more fun not knowing whats around the corner all the time.

2 comments:

  1. We're all stoked to have you so close to the finish - and so close to home! So now a little variety in the weather enters the picture. "Press on toward the mark" Indy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see the seeds I planted about getting you a gf are starting to grow already... :)

    ReplyDelete