Thursday, June 4, 2009

Forester on Down

I apologize for the extended intermission. When I tried to post the last entry the computer decided to delete the second half. So here I am, back in Lone Pine, to fill in the missing pieces and add a few bits that have transpired since.

If you haven't figured by now, I did make my way safely down Forester Pass. There was a technical, icy shoot at the very top that required, again, the use of my trusty ice ax. Puffed with confidence and pride for conquering the tallest pass we immediately deflated as we gaze across the completely snow-covered north slope of the pass. Retrieving our heads we looked to our maps and safely navigate the descent. Raining and cold, we made camp a few thousand feet lower, near the creek we followed off the pass.

The next day was filled with excitement. Dad was coming to visit during our rest day in Lone Pine. I couldn't wait to get going, but it was cold. I couldn't resist using the last of my fuel to make a hot cup of oatmeal instead of eating it cold like I usually do. Daylight hit the trail ahead of me and I walked quickly to catch up. We're looking for a junction to take over Kersarge Pass toward Independence where Dad should be waiting at the trailhead. Following a creek, down, lower, and dropping in elevation we eventually realize we were off track. Not only that but we had turned a 2500 ft climb into a 4000 foot-er by loosing so much elevation. Oh well, its all part of the experience, right? We finally make it down to the trailhead were good-old-reliable Dad was there waiting. I was so glad to see him. You wouldn't believe how a trip like this makes you miss your loved ones.

He took Daylight, Vince, and I into Lone Pine for some R and R. It was really nice to just be with my Dad. I still had the usual town chores to accomplish, but they were a lot more fun with my Dad there. We had a really good pizza dinner with some other hikers. Then, the next morning, after breakfast, Dad took us back to the trailhead. It was a short visit, but it was just what I needed. We were hiking up the trail and Daylight commented on the great relationship I had with my dad. I had to let the two go ahead of me because I thought I might tear up. The two days after my folks have visited me on the trail, whether I'm hiking with someone or alone, are the loneliest days on the trail. I miss them a lot.

That day was also quite difficult because it was snowing lightly when we were dropped off and it continued throughout the day. It snowed harder and harder with every hour. By the time we made it to Glen Pass, the only thing we could see was a sheet of white. There was no way we would be able to continue. We had to turn back. Turning back is the worst. You work so hard for each mile, to give them up is very depressing. But it was the safe thing to do, so you can't feel too bad about it. We dropped down about 2000 ft and made camp. It was a very cold night. In the morning, Daylight pointed out that the temp was 25. Vincent headed out for town again, but Daylight and I, with a beautiful, albeit cold day, decided to try again. The approach proved to be too unsafe that day. Snow had drifted, and the shoots were as icy as they could be. We too headed back to Lone Pine.

I'll set out for a third try tomorrow with DNA and UK Andy. We all have either crampons or ice axes so we should be able to make it, although the forecast gives a chance of more snow on the way. I thought that the desert was going to be the trying portion of the trail. I couldn't wait to get to the beautiful Sierra Mountains. Although they are amazingly beautiful, it has proved to be far more challenging than the desert. I'm excited to hike with DNA again. They are awesome and I think it will be a good group heading out tomorrow. Wish us luck. Pray for sunshine and safe travel. Dad it was good to see you and Mom you are dearly missed.

3 comments:

  1. Nick I am sure grateful for our short time together. It was good to meet some of the people you are hiking with and depending on to some extent. Your pictures were amazing.To see the snow fields and shutes you are crossing was crazy.I love you, Dad. P.S. Tell Vincent thanks for the Real McCoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nick, Dad said he had a great time seeing you. I am so glad you were able to spend some time together. I hope your journey is turning out to be all that you thought it would be. I love reading your blog!

    Love you lots,
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nick! Keep stalling. If you do, maybe we can meet up in northern yosemite. We'll be hiking from the hetch hetchy to vernon lake on July 1st then we'll be there till we hike out on July 5th. Are you going to be at all close?

    I just commented on the giver on my blog. Thanks for the comment. You're amazing to keep up with it even on the trail. I'm up in Seattle with Kim and Jake and Lisa Gilbertson and we just went to the original REI. We've been thinking about you a lot.

    ReplyDelete