Tuesday, May 26, 2009

A lot can happen in a week. One week ago I was in Mojave sorting through my resupply box and resting from a tough hike in. A week ago I was still in the desert. A week ago I wasn't in the Sierra, but now I am.

Ron, Burning Daylight, and I left Mojave last Wednesday on a 25 mile waterless stretch. There was excitement only 2 miles in when I had my first close encounter with a western diamondback rattlesnake. Without so much of a tick of its tail to warn me of its presence, I walk up within three feet of it before noticing its proximity. Taking flight, I'm surprised how high I can jump with so heavy a pack. As I touch down my terror manifests itself in a string of curses at the sneaky serpent. As Ron caught up, I apologized for my eccentric behavior, but he only thanked me for a more-than-sufficient warning of the upcoming danger. We threw some rocks close to it so it would coil for a good picture and then moved on.

It was a tough waterless hike, but we made it to Golden Oaks spring where we camped with Dan and Anna, or DNA, whom we had met at the Anderson's place. We hiked with them the next day, but then moved ahead when they went into Onyx for resupply. Up above the desert now, we made it into some nice pine forest for a while, but once again we dropped into the hot, hot Kelso valley. This section is only possible because of a couple of key water caches maintained by a local trail-loving couple. Otherwise it would be a long, scorching 35 miles of dry desert trail. The next couple of days were spent gaining altitude with the goal of Kennedy Meadows just after mile 700 and the decided gateway to the Sierra Nevada Mountains.

On our way, the trail merges with a quite popular off-roading jeep road. It leads to McIver Spring and a small abandoned cabin. When we arrived at the spring we were greeted by some off-roaders and who gave us some ice cold bottles of water, but the real trail magic happened when Rudy and the gang showed up. We were washing our clothes and getting our packs ready to go and about half a dozen dune buggy type rigs show up with a couple of dirt bikes. They had the whole family with them. It was mom and dad, big kids, little kids, grandma and grandpa and the dogs. Anyways, one of the kids starts chatting me up about the hike and dad was close behind. When he asked what was the toughest part of the hike, Burning Daylight seized the opportunity to point out how there are no cold beers along the trail. Then the dad says what every hiker on a hot trail longs to hear, "If you follow me over to the rig I got a cold beer for you."

"Well, okay," I say. That's all I needed to hear. We went over and as he reaches into the cooler I could hear the ice and water sloshing around. His hand comes up holding a cold 12 once can of Coors, a beautiful and serene sight, but this was no time to go back for the camera. As Rudy hands it to me, he jokes with his wife about the smile on my face then says, "Bet you don't keep those in your pack." I didn't answer. I had already crack the can and placed it to my lips. Immediately the cooling sensation of the cold beverage treats my body against the midday heat. Just another good "yogi" for Daylight and I. (A yogi is anytime you can aquire a luxury from someone else on trail. Named after a famous hiker, Yogi, that is particully gifted in this field).

This next day's events hastened our efforts toward Kennedy Meadows. On a high saddle overlooking the small city of Ridgecrest to the east, I notice that I had a faint cell signal and checked my messages. There was one from my friend Julie Johnson that said that she, Jaime and Liz had spent the weekend in Yosemite and would like to see me on their way back to San Diego. I spend the next couple of hours trying to get into position for a cell signal strong enough to get a hold of them. Finally we share a scratchy phone conversation and plan to meet the following day in Kennedy. The problem was that was tomorrow and that morning we started 55 miles away from the goal. That day had three tough climbs but we managed 28miles and 27 the next day to get in by 5:30 quite astonishingly enough. We even found time to jump into the South fork of the Kern River. Boy, were we tired, but I was excited to see my friends. The next few hours were spent enduring a number of jokes and verbal jabs due to the prospect of having three girls come to visit me on the trail. The ladies are quite a rare breed in this neck of the woods. Soon enough we thought the girls decided not to come, but around ten a lone car cruises the road and I go out to great them. I was excited and touched that they had come all this way as it was quite a long drive at the end of their trip. I was then nervous to invite them to the fire I was sharing with about ten other male, female-starved hikers. I was afraid I was throwing them to the wolves, but after talking a big game, the guys said very little and we had a lovely fireside conversation to catch up. It was quite a treat.

The next day was spent getting ready for the next leg. There was showers to take, laundery to do, and food to buy and eat. Musa and Boone left after breakfast. I hadn't seen them since Idyllwild. Stinky Butt and Lenny decided to stay another day and leave with us the following morning. A young Texan named Taylor has been hanging out for a bit with Adam, a firefighter from Oklahoma. Just a few minutes ago DNA got in and UK Andy arrived earlier that afternoon. DNA, Ron and I were making plans to meet up down the line, because we enjoyed their company so much. Hopefully it works out. We are all hold up at Tom's place. He runs internet for hikers and lets us sleep in his camper trailors. We barbequed last night and probably will again tonight. He's been doing this for a few years now and opperates off of donations only. Its a lot of fun, and he's a really nice guy.

The plan is to be into Lone Pine Tuesday and then Tuoloume Meadows a week after that. I'm excited because my dad said he'd come down to visit. I can't wait and the next section should be beautiful, with snow and I'll be at the highest point of the trail. Wish me luck and look for another post soon that I snail mailed off before the holiday weekend. I hope everyone had a good memorial day weekend. If you didn't go for a hike last weekend go for one this time around. I love and miss you all.

3 comments:

  1. oh boy ridgecrest. a sight to see, haha. i spent my first 18 years of my life there. it's cool keeping track of this great adventure nick. much love and luck to you on your journey.

    -curtis

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the best post yet...you are becoming quite the storyteller. It nice to finally hear about the snake encounter..I was beginning to think you weren't going to see on..now you can live up to your nick name.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nick...YIKES!!! Your worst nightmare came true!
    Thankfully you survived it and now that it's behind you, you can carry on without worry!
    We are looking forward to the pics and wish we had one of your face when you spotted that snake! Have fun and be safe on Mt Whitney.
    Dad is looking forward to seeing you next week.
    We Love You,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete