Monday, May 4, 2009

Kick-off

*Note: I think I am a little behind Nick on this one. To no surprise, snail mail proves to be much slower than Nick's pace. Enjoy!-KW

We headed South for the kick-off Thursday morning. Chris and Mae had to stop in Palm Springs to pick up a bike, and since it was their camper we were all riding in, there were no complaints. It was me, ORR, Chase (The Virginian), Jim, Strider, and of course, Chris (Fox Sparrow) and Mae. 

Arriving at Lake Morena Campground we were quickly checked in and off to our designated campsites. To my surprise, little happened that night. Some southbounder had told me there would be wild excitement along with food and free beer. Unfortunately, that never panned out. I did get to see Mike Thursday night and again Saturday morning, along with Richard and Jared. It was awesome to see them. I have missed everyone like you wouldn't believe, so it was just wonderful to see some of my friends along the trail. 

Other than that, the kick-off itself was pretty cool. There were vendors peddling their wares. There were presentations on hiking through the bear country, snow and water reports, and a gear contest. Most interesting of all were the people. As I have mentioned, the community of people surrounding this trail is a fascinating bunch and kick-off is like this family's Thanksgiving dinner. I met hikers I heard and read about, along with other veterans and first timers. There were trail angels making sure everyone knew where to find them on the trail. There is definitely the sense that everyone is taking care of you along the way.

Well, I'll be in Big Bear on Thursday where I'll probably stay around Friday to check the PO and take a shower. My clothes could use a good washing too.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Nick, I've been thinking about you a lot. My desire to join you on the trail continues to grow. I'm working on Kim : ). Two recent things that have made the PCT more attractive:

    1. The Soloist-
    I saw this movie on Friday night with Kim. One of the main themes is the struggle between trying to cure this guy who is suffering from schizophrenia by locking him up and forcing meds down his throat (a good Western "cure"), and just loving him by being his friend and appreciating his uniqueness. After the movie, Kim said that she felt so bad for him that he hears voices and can't control them. We saw the movie in a mall, and as we were talking, we realized that our form of schizophrenia was all around us (blinking lights, loud music, etc., all trying to convince us that we need to buy their products to be accepted). It made me long for the simplicity of the trail.

    2. McFague's perspective-
    We have been reading a book by Sallie McFague about a perspective of God that is "immanently transcendent", in that God is so present in creation, closer to creation than we can ever be, and in that way, God is utterly transcendent. Anyway, it's a new way of seeing the world, and while I don't necessarily agree with all of the theological implications, it's been neat to try and see all of the ways that each part of creation speaks to its own unique little piece of the glory of God. Being surrounded by the industry of city-life, it has sometimes made such a perspective hard to grasp. Again, it made me long for the simplicity of the trail.

    Anyway, as you can tell, you and the PCT have been on my mind. I just posted "A Blistered Kind of Love" as the next book in the book group blog. I mentioned on the post that we are reading it in your honor. I'm really excited to read it and to go on my two main summer trips (1. backpacking in yosemite, and 2. the road trip to Seattle, Glacier, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, the Great Salt Lake, Grand Canyon, and Vegas.). I'll keep reading your updates in case we can meet up anywhere. I hope we can : ).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just mentioned you in class while we were talking about McFague, and the implications of her way of thinking, and Dr. Lodahl said to say "hi" to you from the class. Matt Romero is in the class as well, and he is a big hiker, and he said he probably saw you on the trail lately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Matt, thanks for your comments and shout-outs and I do hope that I'll be able to see you somewhere along the way of your summer travels.

    You're comments give me a lot to think about walking, tripping and stubbling down the trail. Though I haven't read McFague, my initial reaction to your summary is to dissagree, surprisingly. I must say as I've spent nearly a month on the trail, I'm delighted to realize that this trip is less and less about the vistas and views and more and more about the people that enjoy them with you. If God does exists and transcends around, in or near every aspect of creation, a rock or tall tree can in no way compare itself to a person baring the image of the God who created it. Far more can be learned by every passing hiker than thousands of hours among gorgeous scenery. This particular environment, however, does aford a beautiful simplicity to each meeting. The simplicity, I've found, arises from two factors. First, of course, is the physical environment which creates a shared admiration among those that enjoy and place themselves within such remote places. Second, is the short amount of time spent with each relationship. People are met and bid goodbye well before complications of serious relationships can arise. Its delightful and very base at the same time and very interesting to say the least. Anyways, I'll be in to wrightwood in a couple days. Look for another post coming soon.

    love you guys.

    ReplyDelete