Thursday, September 9, 2010

Now Turned and Facing Southern Skies

It’s been almost one year to date from the time I lived afoot and free on the Pacific Crest Trail. Yet the memories of those days offer little satisfaction. Rather they have since stirred a need to be on the move once more. And so again I'll tempt fate for fortune to sing a new song, in a new place, with new friends, and find family in far off lands.


Trading in my boots for jet fuel, I've already more than doubled the distance of last summer's travels in the course of a couple weeks. If the trail had been an exercise in simplicity, modern international travel can be anything but. It begins, not with a single step, but with a series of web pages, ticket prices, invoices and emails only to be followed by buses, shuttles, boarder guards, airports and immigration officers. The excitement of what’s to come propels me beyond my frustrations and disdain for logistics, and somehow with broken Spanish, though by providence, I arrive via yet another shuttle in Mexico City.


James picks me up at the shuttle station. He and his wife Lauren have lived in the city almost two years, teaching and going to school as well. The three of us attended Point Loma in San Diego. James and I lived in the dorm together and also for a time after graduation. It’s wonderful to be with them. Not only that, but the two of them have become three and I've eagerly anticipated meeting their baby girl. But first thing first, the shuttle station was near the north end of the city and James and Lauren live on the southern side. A simple cross-town cruise is out of the question in a city more than twice the size of New York. Furthermore, it’s dark and raining. The streets are not well lit or clearly marked, and two years is hardly enough time to memorize a grid that size. James and I had plenty of time to catch up.


The city is incredible. It’s not as bright as other big cities but the dim glow seems to stretch endlessly. As we pass here and there James speaks of sights and history that could keep you busy indefinitely. Ruins outside the city in all directions, mountain towns, cathedrals, and castles too. Eventually we made it to the Periferico, a freeway that surrounds the city. We took the upper deck, giving new meaning to the term "highway"; because it’s a four-lane parkway directly on top another. It was getting later. The traffic wasn't too bad and we made it home safe and sound.


I'm so excited to spend time with my friends this afternoon. They are working so I took some time to sit and write, walk around the neighborhood, and grab some coffee. Certainly there will be much more to come. I can't explain the excitement of traveling again. Hopefully everyone will enjoy coming along for the ride once more. Though this trip will be immeasurably different than the last, I go in the same spirit and love that has blessed my previous comings and goings.

No comments:

Post a Comment