Sunday, April 19, 2009

100 miles in...

I've been on the trail for a week and have made it to Warner Springs. So far the desert has been cold and wet. It rained on me the first, third, and fifth nights of the trail. This morning I woke up to trace amounts of snow on the ground and relentless wind. The trail definitely takes a toll on your body, but it's getting easier. I took a couple of days off in Julian to wait and see my parents and grandparents, which was nice...TV, a soft bed...it was luxury. It was great to see my folks.
So far the trail has been pretty exciting because it's so new and interesting. When they dropped me off yesterday, I hit the trail and didn't see anyone until morning. Knowing I wouldn't see my folks again until June or July made it kind of a lonely day. Overall, I have met some pretty cool people already on the trail. Day 1 it was the cousins: Nathan and Aaron. Day 2 it was Chris, a 63 year old gentleman who is also hiking the whole thing. Because of my days off, he should be in front of me and I hope to see him again. There's also R.P., Ipod, Hiker Bill, and others. The trail veterans really get into the trail name thing. So far I don't have one. I think I'll wait until someone names me, rather than assume one on my own.
Well, I'm more than 100 miles in now. I would think that would be an encouraging accomplishment, but it is also a crazy thought that I have to do it 25 more times! I'll just be happy when the wind dies down. My next stop will either be in Anza or Idyllwild, or maybe both. I hope there are more trees in the future. I'm not used to hiking in the desert.

2 comments:

  1. OK. So Nancy and I litteraly dropped in on your folks last night. They brought us up to speed on your start and sent me your blog contact. I'll follow your progress and cheer you on. I wish I was there, Glen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nick, looks like you are doing just fine. I will continue to track you and also pray for your safety and endurance. This is a great experience for you. Probably a once in a lifetime deal. Hang in there.
    John Cabe

    ReplyDelete